For the most part kids have a good idea, if not many ideas of what they want to wear for Halloween, or even Comicon. Every now and then though, for whatever reason, a kid will want to dress up/cosplay and have no clear idea for a costume.
Tips for finding ideas –
Some of these tips will seem simple and fairly obvious but when you are stumped and possibly stressed (think teenagers) the obvious can be elusive.
- Popular movies (Avengers, Star Wars, Ghostbusters…)
- TV shows (new and old, Firefly, Star Trek, Walking Dead…)
- Disney characters (primarily for little ones)
- Video games (Assassin’s Creed, Mario Brothers, Halo…)
- Historical (Egyptian, Roaring ’20s, Ancient Greece, Wild West, 1950s…)
- Comic books (Superheroes, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Horror…)
- Sports (Football, Baseball, WWE, etc.)
Specifically for little ones –
Most little kids are happy to be in something fun and cute.
- Animals (Cat, Dog, Lion, Elephant, Tiger, Bumble Bee, Ladybug)
- Food (Pumpkin, Cupcake, Banana, Popcorn)
- Box (Truck, Lego, iPhone, Crayons)
- Characters (Pirate, Fairy, Cowboy, Princess)
- Classic Halloween (Witch, Dracula, Skeleton, Devil)
- Elaborate (Dragon, Snowglobe, Dinosaur, Jellyfish)
Group costumes –
Sometimes the struggle to find a costume idea stems from two or more kids wanting to dress up/cosplay together. Here are some group ideas.
- Wizard of Oz
- Justice League
- Where’s Waldo
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Lord of the Rings
- Harry Potter
You can also do a quick internet search for group costumes, as well as, other ideas like ‘classic Halloween’ or ‘Video game’ costumes. Pinterest is another great source for costume tips and ideas.
I hope some of these ideas will be helpful, or at least help lead you to other ideas that might work.
Next week, I will be talking about planning for group costumes.
This post has been cross-posted from More-Like-Guidelines.
One thought on “Costume Corner – Costume ideas for kids”